The Professional Children's Workshop
The Professional Children's Workshop is for promising children with exceptional talent or skill. Unlike the Young Performers Program, participants engage in a variety of shows during the full length of the Festival. The Workshop requires long hours and a high level of dedication, but is a rewarding experience for those seeking to take their craft to the next level.
Children enrolled in the Workshop work directly with directors Robin Wolaver and Wendy Brown. Each participant is cast in a series of highly customized roles or moments in a variety of shows. These moments dovetail with the live performances featuring young adult performers.
Violin, viola, cello, guitar and piano unite with singing, drama, and dance for a creative, multi-sensory experience. Though every child chooses a primary track based upon their area of study, We consider all facets of a child's talent and personality in order to bring out their best and most inspiring performances, as singers, actors, dancers, and instrumentalists in the final show.
Each child's schedule is customized for them and is guided by their casting and any disciplines they seek to hone during their time at the Festival.
In order for us to maximize your child's experience at the Workshop, it is vital that we get to know them! Below is the 3 step casting process we require for all students–beginners, as well as the highly skilled.
1. Video: Every child who registers must prepare a short (2-6 min.) video. The video must include:
1) the child singing ''Happy Birthday" or a verse of "Silent Night". They may sing another song of their choice along with one of these if they wish.
2) a short instrumental performance (for instrumentalists only)
3) a dance segment (for dancers only)
4) 2 or 3 lines of dramatic dialogue.
The due date for the casting and placement video is May 1, 2014.